My supermarket stars this week include a fruity organic red and a soft, textured chardonnay. Scroll down and you'll also find details of new offers at Waitrose, Spar and the Co-op.
2017 Pacheco Organic Monastrell (£6.99 until 5 May – at Waitrose and 14.5%):
It is good to see this excellent organic red back on promotion. From Jumilla in Spain, it uses the sun-loving Monastrell grape (or Mourvedre as it's called elsewhere in the world).
It's an intense, robust wine with fresh, minty and clove influenced cherry, mulberry and plum fruit.
2018 Exquisite Collection Padthaway Chardonnay (£5.99 at Aldi and 13.5%):
Padthaway may be one of the less familiar parts of South Australia but its Chardonnay is fast acquiring a great reputation. This soft and textured example shows us why.
With a smooth apple and grapefruit baseline, firm acidity and delightful suggestions of butter, vanilla and other spices.
This week's promotions
As I mentioned in last week's post, there's a new promotion at Waitrose which is expected to run until 5 May. Here's a selection of wines included:
- Mud House Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £9.50 to £6.99)
- Paikea Pinot Grigio (Drops from £8.99 to £6.99)
- La Vieille Ferme Blanc (Down to £6.49)
- Paul Mas Reserve Languedoc Blanc (Drops to £6.99)
- Santa Julia Malbec (Down to £6.99 from £9.39)
- Gable & Grace Shiraz Malbec (Drops from £7.99 to £5.99)
- Gosset Grande Reserve Champagne (Down £10 to £40)
The following wines are on offer until 30 April:
- Villa Cerro Garganega Pinot Grigio (Down from £6.50 to £5.50)
- Villa Cerro Garganega Pinot Grigio Blush (Down to £5.50)
- Ursa Maior Rioja Tempranillo (Drops from £7 to £6)
- SPAR Italian Dolomiti Pinot Grigio (Down to £6.50)
- Perlezza Prosecco Brut Spumante (Drops to £7.50)
These bottles are part of the latest promotion at Co-op, starting on Wednesday and running until 12 May:
- Signal Post Shiraz (Down from £7 to £5)
- Les Jamelles Syrah (Down from £7.25 to £6.25)
- Hereford Tempranillo (Drops £2 to £5)
- Stonehaven Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £8 to £6)
- Trivento Reserve Malbec (Drops from £8 to £6)
- Ramon Bilbao El Viaje Rose (Down £1 to £7)
Look out for Thursday's post when we take a look at some of the most impressive wines available this summer in Aldi.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?