I finish my Top Tips of 2020 with a fresh but soft New Zealand Sauvignon and a dark, intense Italian red. I have also included a reminder of the festive discounts currently available at major retailers. We'll be back on Thursday with a look at Christmas lunch wines and will return in the new year with more great value weekly tips.
2019 Castellore Sangiovese Appassimento (£6.99 at Aldi)
Appassimento is a (probably exclusively Italian) drying process that reduces the water content of harvested grapes to make what is left behind richer, sweeter and more concentrated.
This version from Romagna uses Sangiovese grapes to create dark, dense but floral red wine with surprisingly little tannin. What it does have is gloriously intense cherry, bramble and nutty flavours with hints of cinnamon and menthol.
2019 Tukituki Sauvignon Blanc (currently £6 – instead of £7 – at Asda)
Catch this Asda promotion while you can as 2020 New Zealand Sauvignon prices have gone up a bit.
Even after a year in bottle, however, this guy has plenty of soft, sweet-edged, gooseberry, ripe melon and red apple flavours while its original fresh grapefruit acidity also remains undimmed.
- Sainsbury's: Buy 6 or more and save 25% until 13 December. This offer can be used on top of other special discounts for extra savings (but note, the end date for other promotions may differ).
- Waitrose: The Save up to 1/3 on wine and fizz offer is back until 3 January. They also have a selection of fine wines at £10 until 16 December.
- Morrisons: Buy 2 for £10 on many of the usual suspects if ordered by 26 January 2021.
- Asda: Their Buy 6 or more and save 25% ends today but some of the Rollback deals may continue.
- Majestic: A number of Christmas offers are available on popular wine and fizz.
Join us again on Thursday for our annual look at red wines to grace your Christmas lunch table.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?