Below you will find details of two great value supermarket finds plus Easter offers at Co-op, Spar, Asda and Aldi.
2019 Taste the Difference South African Sauvignon Blanc (£6.25 – instead of £7 until 14 April – at Sainsbury’s and 12.5%):
South African Sauvignon can vary but this Fairtrade example from the Western Cape ticks all the right boxes.
It has the lively lemon acidity that makes the variety so popular and accompanies it with apple and melon fruit given depth by grassy grapefruit elements and hints of white peach.
2019 Isla Negra Merlot (£5 at Tesco and 12%):
Not often that we recommend branded wine on this site, but this guy from the Concha Y Toro stable illustrates how good straightforward, every day Chilean Merlot can be.
Not the last word in sophistication but it still brings us sound, dependable red wine with soft cherry and red plum fruit, cinnamon and mint touches, good acidity but only minimal tannin.
This week's promotions
At the Co-op (until 21 April):
- Hereford Tempranillo (Down from £7 to £5)
- Yali Wild Swan Sauvignon Blanc (Drops from £7.50 to £5.50)
- Stonehaven Sauvignon Blanc (Drops £2 to £6)
- Co-op Pioneer ‘Member's Choice‘ Pinot Grigio (Down to £6.50)
- Regional Selection Bourgogne Chardonnay (Down from £9 to £7.50)
- Regional Selection Ursa Maior Rioja Reserva (Down to £7.50)
- Vine & Bloom Pinot Grigio, Merlot and Rosé vegan wines (all £5.50 down from £6.50)
At Asda (until 15 April)
- Extra Special Barossa Shiraz (£6 in England and Northern Ireland, £5.43 in Scotland and Wales)
- Extra Special Chilean Sauvignon Blanc (£6 in England and Northern Ireland, £5 in Scotland and Wales)
- Extra Special Marques Del Norte Rioja Reserva (Down from £8.50 to £7)
- Extra Special Sainte Cecile Cotes du Rhone Villages (Down from £7 to £6)
- Extra Special Bordeaux Sauvignon Blanc (Drops to £6)
- Extra Special New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (Down to £6)
- San Floriano Prosecco DOC (Down to £4.99 for Easter)
See you again on Thursday when we allow our mouths to water over a handful of special occasion wines in our regular Sunday Best feature.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?