My recommendations this week include a fashionable white and a reliable red – both excellent value supermarket buys. Scroll down and you'll also find details of a new summer promotion starting this week at the Co-op.
2019 Pierre Jaurant Ferrandiere Pinot Gris (£5.99 at Aldi):
New Zealand’s modern style Pinot Gris (a posh name for Pinot Grigio) is in vogue at the moment but this Languedoc version from Jean-Claude Mas is also a seriously good wine at an excellent price.
It delivers aromatic greengage and melon fruit with smooth, rounded depth, good lemon acidity and contrasting hints of mace.
2019 Tesco Chilean Merlot (£4.35 at Tesco):
Given its modest price, this will never be the last word in sophistication but it is a sound, everyday option made by a very experienced winemaker.
Enjoy, then, its ripe cherry fruit, nutty but light bodied texture with a cinnamon and vanilla finish, good acidity but only limited tannin.
Note though prices can be different in Scotland and Wales where minimum unit pricing regulations apply.
The new summer promotion starts at the Co-op on Wednesday and is expected to run until 23 June. Here's a sample of what's included:
- Scalini Prosecco (Down from £8.50 to £7)
- La Luciole Rose (Drops from £10 to £8)
- Weather Man Sauvignon Blanc (Down £1 to £5.50)
- Les Jamelles Viognier (Drops from £7.50 to £6.50)
- Las Moras Barrel Select Malbec (Down £2 to £6.25)
- The Black Shiraz (Down from £8.25 to £7)
You'll also spot some well-known brands among the offers, like the ones below. As always, check local stores for the full promotion.
- Most Wanted Albarino (Drops from £8.50 to £7.50)
- Oxford Landing Estates Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £7.50 to £6)
- Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon (Down £1.50 to £7)
- Oxford Landing Merlot (Drops from £7.50 to £6)
- Cono Sur Bicicleta Pinot Noir (Down £2 to £6) (See my write up of this wine back in April)
Back on Thursday when we embrace the BBQ season with a look at wines for beef.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?