For anyone dreaming of sunnier climes, this week's top tips take us first to Tuscany and then onto South West France.
Scroll down and you'll also find my highlights from Morrisons latest promotion, plus a taste of what's included in the M&S (largely pink) spring promotion.
2018 Cecchi Morellino di Scansano (£7.99 – instead of £9.99 until 2 June – at Waitrose):
A little more expensive than my usual top tip selections but the current discount on this lovely Tuscan Sangiovese blend makes it the perfect time to give it a try.
The lively sour cherry and cranberry fruit and bright acidity is nicely balanced with fine tannin and a roasted herb background.
2017 Finest Saint Mont (£6.50 at Tesco):
Made by South West France’s acclaimed Plaimont operation using largely local grapes, this fruity white brilliantly illustrates what the region has to offer.
Combining peach and tangerine fruit with lime acidity and impressive herbal texture, this wine is a feast for tired palates.
Starting on Wednesday and running until 16 June, Morrisons latest promotion is well worth a look. I particularly enjoyed The Best New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (down to £7.50) but there are several (listed below) which made it into my highlights:
- Gerard Bertrand Les Aspres Reserve (Down to £8)
- Morrisons The Best Soave Classico (Down to £5.50)
- Cono Sur Reserva Especial Pinot Noir (Drops to £6.50)
- Morrisons The Best Verdicchio (Down to £6)
- Morrisons The Best Western Australia Cabernet Sauvignon (Down to £6.50)
- Morrisons The Best Negroamaro (Drops to £6.50)
- Sorso Montepulciano D'Abruzzo (Down to £5.50)
As well as launching a new ‘This is' range (featured in Thursday's post) M&S has kicked off its spring promotion. Although it largely focuses on rosé, there are some red, white and fizz discounts included. Below is a taste of what's on offer (until 8 June).
- Bellante Sparkling Rosé (Drops from £10 to £7)
- Classics Côte de Provence Rosé (Down from £8 to £7)
- Conti Priuli Veneto Blush (Drops £2 to £6)
- Silver Frond Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £12 to £8)
- Le Froglet Shiraz (Down to £6)
- Merinas Spanish Organic White (Drops from £7 to £6)
Thursday's post looks at my latest selection of “Sunday Best” wines for those special occasions when we should step things up a bit.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?