In this week's post you'll find a reliable High Street Malbec and an excellent value Riesling blend. I also take a look at the latest Majestic promotion and share details of offers at Tesco.
2018 Trivento Reserve Malbec (£6 – instead of £8 until 12 May – at the Co-op):
You may well spot a summer campaign lauding this wine on TV soon. It's a great example of how well Argentina does with Malbec, even at an everyday price point.
Its savoury and herbal-centred texture adds real substance to the plum and cherry fruit, and the hints of cinnamon and milk chocolate that back it up.
2018 Riesling Scheurebe Halbtrocken (£5.99 at Lidl while stocks last):
Anyone fearing this will be a sweet white wine can relax, Halbtrocken simply means off-dry. And paired with the tropical-fruit-influenced Scheurebe grape, it feels rich and ripe.
The smooth red apple base is supported by lime acidity, spicy touches and suggestions of fresh peach.
The full list of wines included can be found on the Majestic website but here are a few you might want to pay particular attention to:
- 2019 La Belle Angèle Rosé (From £6.99)
- 2016/17 Jim Barry ‘Lodge Hill' Shiraz (From £9.99)
- 2018 Definition Sauvignon Blanc (From £8.24)
- 2018/19 Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc (From £17.99)
- 2018 Primo Rosso Appassimento (From £7.99)
- 2019 Yalumba Y Series Viognier (From £7.49)
- 2017 Rioja ‘Single Vineyard' (From £7.99)
Below is a taste of what's included in the latest Tesco promotion. For the full selection (which includes a healthy number of big name brands) check the website or instore. Note, the offer end dates differ across the promotion.
- 2018 Tesco Finest Malborough Pinot Noir (Down to £8)
- 2015 Dark Horse Cabernet Sauvignon (Drops to £7)
- Cono Sur Bicicleta Pinot Noir (Down £1.50 to £6)
- Tesco Finest Passerina (Drops from £7 to £6)
- Wairau Cove Sauvignon Blanc (Down £6)
A new promotion starts at Waitrose on Wednesday. Be sure to read next Monday's post for my tips on what's included.
On Thursday, we will take a look at a selection of excellent wines from Germany.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?