My supermarket stars this week include a great value Merlot from the shelves of Aldi, plus a soft but tasty Pinot Grigio currently on offer at Sainsbury's. I have also included below some of my highlights from the current Waitrose promotion and details of offers at Asda and Tesco.
2019 Cambalala Merlot (£5.49 at Aldi):
This great value South African Merlot opens with cherry, plum and raspberry fruit that is enlivened by good acidity and supported by soft tannin.
Those elements are made even more attractive by its oak influences that include aniseed, vanilla and nuttiness.
2019 Rocca Murer Pinot Grigio Trentino (£6.50 – instead of £7 until 27 October – at Sainsbury’s)
While many Pinot Grigios lack depth and vitality, the right winemaker and area (like Italy’s Trentino) can help avoid any such frailties.
Try, for instance, this admirable version with its soft, red apple and pear flavours, gentle lemon acidity, savoury edge plus hints of honey and white peach.
Here are some of my picks from the latest Waitrose wine promotion which started last week. Save up to 1/3 on these bottes (and more) before the offer ends on 3 November.
- Tempus Two Silver Series Sauvignon (Down to £5.99)
- Pecorino Terre di Chieti IGP (Drops to £5.99)
- Grant Burge Chardonnay (Down to £6.99)
- Paul Mas Reserve Languedoc Rouge (Down to £6.25)
- Errazuriz Estate Cabernet Sauvignon (Drops to £6.99)
- Waitrose No1 St Hallett Barossa Shiraz (Drops to £9.49)
Below is a taste of what's included in the current Rollback offers at Asda. Check instore or online for the full range plus any restrictions on where the discounts are available.
- Picpoul de Pinet Blanc Sec (Drops to £6.50)
- Extra Special Malbec (Down £1.50 to £6)
- Extra Special New Zealand Pinot Noir (Drops to £9)
- Wolf Blass Red Label Shiraz Cabernet (Down to £5.50)
- Canti Pinot Grigio Rose (Down from £6.50 to £5)
Tune in again on Thursday for our regular look at “Sunday Best” wines that will grace any occasion – re-affirming that we are not just about entry point wines.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?