This week's top tips include a Fairtrade South African Sauvignon and a smooth Sicilian red, both at £5.50. I also bring you news of the next Uncorking MidWeek at-home tasting, plus promotion details from Sainsbury's, the Co-op and Waitrose.
2019 Irresistible Fairtrade Sauvignon Blanc (£5.50 instead of £6 until 13 October at the Co-op)
With so much Sauvignon about acidity and little else, please welcome a version that has soft and rounded qualities too.
A Fairtrade South African white, its backbone apple, pear and green pepper flavours are fortified by herbal and ginger depth and good (but proportionate) citrus acidity.
2018 Tesco Nero D'Avola (£5.50 at Tesco)
It's hard to find presentable wine under £6 these days but this Sicilian red is a decent bottle and well priced.
Despite low-key aromas, its main cherry and bramble flavours are clear enough and are well supported by sprightly acidity and a light but smooth, liquorice and cinnamon based texture.
Find it here on Tesco's site.
A new set of discounts kicked off at Sainsbury's last week. Below are some of my highlights from the promotion but do look online or instore to see what else is included. These offers are expected to end on 27 October.
- Taste the Difference Riverblock Sauvignon Blanc (Drops to £7.75)
- Most Wanted Primitivo (Down from £8 to £7)
- Taste the Difference Côtes du Rhône White (Drops to £7)
- Taste the Difference Dry Furmint (Down to £8.50)
- Taste the Difference Pic Saint Loup (Drops to £8.50)
- McGuigan Reserve Shiraz (Drops from £7 to £6)
- Taste the Difference Langhorne Creek Cabernet (Down to £6.50)
- Beefsteak Club Shiraz (Down from £8 to £7)
A new promotion starts at the Co-op on Wednesday and is expected to run until 3 November. See below for a sample of the wines included. Note, prices are subject to change and customers are advised to visit their local Co-op store for more information.
- Brancott Estate Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £9.50 to £7.50)
- Cono Sur Bicicleta Pinot Noir (Drops from £8 to £6)
- McGuigan The Engineer Shiraz Tempranillo (Down to £8)
- The Interlude Pinot Noir (Drops from £7 to £6)
- Rock & Roots Organic Tempranillo (Down to £5.25)
The current promotion at Waitrose is ending tomorrow but check back next week when we'll have details of its successor.
Book now for our next Zoom tasting
Don’t miss out on the second of October’s Zoom tasting sessions under the Uncorking MidWeek banner. This time we shall be looking at a selection of six wines from Tesco that includes two around the £5 mark.
Remember, these sessions work if you taste along with us but you can also take part without the wine in front of you. Several participants use the sessions to help them select wines they will buy next time they visit the store.
Drop in again on Thursday when we take a look at some excellent wines (across a range of price points) being launched in support of an animal charity and in conjunction with former England cricketer Darren Gough.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?