My supermarket picks this week include a smooth Pinotage Malbec from a South African wine stalwart, and one of Waitrose's best value Chardonnays. I also bring you details of current or upcoming promotions from Sainsbury's, M&S and the Co-op, plus details of how to join our first “Uncorking MidWeek” Zoom tasting.
2019 Bruce Jack Pinotage Malbec (£6.50 – instead of £7 until 6 October – at Sainsbury’s):
Although the Bruce Jack brand only dates from 2018, the man himself is a long-time South African wine industry insider.
His expertise shines through in this excellent and well-priced red. It has smooth plum flavours with good acidity, limited tannin but touches of chocolate, mint and other herbs.
2019 The Waterfront Chardonnay (£5.99 – instead of £7.99 until 22 September at Waitrose):
This South African Chardonnay (supplemented with a dash of Viognier) remains one of Waitrose’s best value entry point whites.
Enjoy its smooth white peach and tropical fruit flavours enlivened by pithy pear drop acidity and supported by a delicate crème brulee texture.
Sainsbury's latest wine promotion is now underway. As well as McGuigan Shortlist Chardonnay mentioned in last week's post, there are a number of good options included (see below for some highlights). The discounts end on 6 October.
- Taste the Difference Pecorino (Down to £6)
- Elegant Frog Viognier (Down from £8 to £7)
- Faustino Rivero Albariño (Drops £2 to £10)
- Cono Sur Bicicleta Pinot Noir (Down to £6)
- Taste the Difference Portuguese Lisboa Red (Drops to £6)
- Taste the Difference Saint Chinian (Down to £8)
- Taste the Difference Valpolicella Ripasso (Drops to £10)
A new round of offers are also now running at M&S, ending on 5 October. Below are just some of the wines included. As always, see your local store for the full range.
- 2019 Koha Sauvignon Blanc (Down to £8)
- 2019 Plessis Duval Rosé D'Anjou (Down to £6)
- 2018 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo (Drops £1 to £6)
- 2019 Burra Brook Cabernet Sauvignon (Down to £6)
- 2019 Tierra Y Hombre Pinot Noir (Drops to £6)
New discounts start at the Co-op on Wednesday and are expected to run until 13 October. Below is a sample of the wines included but do note that prices are subject to change and customers are advised to visit their local Co-op store for more information.
- Yealands Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £9.50 to £7.50)
- Zalze Shiraz Grenache Viognier (Drops to £6.85)
- Fleurie By Louis Tete Agamy Fleurie (Down £1 to £10)
- Artan Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (Drops to £8)
- Ramon Bilbao El Viaje Rosé (Down £1 to £7)
- Adeletto Prosecco (Down from £8.50 to £7)
NEW! Online tastings
The first “Uncorking MidWeek” session will take place on 7 October when we'll be tasting six wines from Marks & Spencer. Tickets are just £10 but places are limited so early booking is advised.
Stand by for our “Pick of the Clicks” this Thursday where we select some of the best modestly-priced wines currently available online.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?