My recommendations this week focus on a stand-out Pinotage for less than a fiver and a great value Chenin Blanc. My picks from the latest Asda and Morrisons promotions are also included below.
2019 Taste the Difference Fairtrade Chenin Blanc (£6.50 – instead of £7.50 until 15 September – at Sainsbury’s):
Climate change in France and dedicated wine-making everywhere has put Chenin Blanc on a roll.
This South African version typifies what the grape variety does so well – creating white wine with juicy, peach and apple flavours neatly supported by good lime acidity and an attractive chalky depth. Find it online here.
2019 Mountain Vineyards Pinotage (£4.75 at Tesco):
You have to be careful with Pinotage (especially cheap versions) because, frankly, some of them are pretty grim.
This great value Western Cape red, however, is a delightful exception. It has minty, plum and cherry flavours, good acidity, limited tannin, spicy chocolate depth and just a hint of sweetness.
Find it here on Tesco's site but note prices may differ in Scotland and Wales where minimum pricing laws apply.
It is now down to £4.50 in England I believe!
Asda's latest offers kick off on Thursday and are expected to run until 7 October. Below are the bottles that I think are worth a look.
- Trivento Reserve Malbec (Down from £8 to £6)
- Campo Viejo Rioja Garnacha (Down from £8 to £6.50)
- La Chasse Cotes du Rhone Reserve (Drops to £6)
- Les Dauphins Cotes du Rhone (Down from £8 to £6)
- Saint-Chinian Grenache Blanc (Drops to £7)
- Extra Special Premier Cru Champagne Brut (Drops to £19)
A new promotion starts at Morrisons on Wednesday and will run until 6 October. Here are my highlights. For the full range see online or instore.
- Workshop Mastercraft Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £10 to £8)
- Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc (Drops from £9.50 to £7)
- The Best Pecorino (Down to £6)
- The Best Soave Classico (Drops to £5.50)
- Carta Roja Pura Jumilla Organic Wine (Down to £6)
- Beefsteak Club Mendoza Malbec (Down from £8.25 to £6)
- Vinalba Patagonia Malbec (Drops to £8)
- Vinus By Paul Mas Clairette (Down to £6.50)
- Diablo Dark Red (Drops to £7.50)
Tune in again on Thursday when I look at three levels of Chardonnay produced by Australia’s acclaimed McGuigan outfit.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?