A New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc to brighten a grey day and a well-made organic Italian red are among my recommendations this week. I have also included my highlights from Sainsbury's current promotion plus details of the latest offers at Waitrose and the Co-op.
2019 Aupouri Sauvignon Blanc (£6 at Asda):
Gisborne, in New Zealand’s North Island, tends to provide sweeter, rounder and more tropical fruit influenced Sauvignon Blanc than Marlborough.
True to form, this aromatic Gisborne example does have an edge of sweetness and its tangerine-based acidity is less piercing than you normally find with those Marlborough versions.
2018 Organic Montepulciano D’Abruzzo (£6– instead of £6.75 until 4 October – at Morrisons):
Well-made organic wine often radiates a sense of purity and that is definitely the case here.
The resulting bright, bold, cherry and red currant elements are well supported by good acidity, hints of menthol, cocoa and liquorice but little of the tannin that can make Italian reds seem chewy.
The latest wines offers at Sainsbury's are now live and will run until 15 September. Below I've included my picks from the promotion. Note, some offers aren't available in Scottish and Welsh stores, check the website for details.
- Taste the Difference Cremant de Loire (Down to £9)
- Taste the Difference Touraine Sauvignon Blanc (Drops from £8 to £7)
- Taste the Difference South Africa Chenin Blanc (Down to £6.50)
- Taste the Difference Languedoc Blanc (Down to £6.50)
- Cono Sur Bicicleta Viognier (Drops to £6)
- Bellingham Bernard Series Roussanne (Down to £9)
- Taste the Difference Côtes de Provence Rosé (Down to £8.50)
- Dark Horse Merlot (Down from £8.50 to £7)
- Taste the Difference Primitivo Salento (Down to £6)
- Taste the Difference Reserve Pic Saint Loup (Drops to £8.50)
- Taste the Difference Rheinhessen Pinot Noir (Down to £6.75)
- Beefsteak Club Braai Edition Malbec (Down to £6.50)
The latest Waitrose promotion kicked off last week and is expected to run until 22 September. Here is a taste of what's on offer. See the Waitrose website or instore for the full selection.
- Mud House Sauvignon Blanc (Down £2 to £7.50)
- Paul Mas Viognier/ Sauvignon Blanc (Drops to £6.74)
- Cune Barrel-Fermented Rioja Blanco (Down to £8.79)
- Fenaroli Pecorino Superiore (Drops from £9.99 to £7.49)
- Mirabeau en Provence Rosé (Down to £8.99)
- Crozes Hermitage Hauts de Pavieres (Down to £9.99)
- Trois Pierres Costieres de Nimes (Drops from £8.79 to £6.59)
- Villa Blanche Piquepoul Noir (Down to £6.49)
- MontGras Reserva Carmenere (Down from £9.49 to £6.99)
- Gable & Grace Shiraz Malbec (Drops £2 to £5.99)
A new promotion starts on Wednesday at the Co-op and will run until 22 September. Here is a brief selection of the wines included but do note that prices are subject to change and customers are advised to visit their local Co-op store for more information.
- Yealands Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £9.50 to £7.50)
- Montes Reserva Chardonnay (Drops from £8 to £7)
- Famille Perrin Les Cardinaux (Down £1 to £9)
- The Black Shiraz (Drops from £8.25 to £7.25)
- Corte Mayor Rioja Crianza (Down £2 to £7)
- Montes Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (Down from £9 to £7)
- Baron De Ley Rioja Reserva (Drops £2 to £9)
Tune in again on Thursday for our regular review of Sunday Best wine – just right for those special occasions we all have once in a while.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?