A delicate new world Rosé and a full-bodied Cȏtes du Rhȏne Villages make up my top tips this week. I also bring you news of late-summer offers from Tesco's Finest and Sainsbury's Taste the Difference ranges.
2019 Trivento Malbec Rosé (£8 at Tesco):
Proving that delicate and dry-ish rosé is not just from the old world, please welcome this version from Argentina.
It fully justifies its £8 price tag, combining floral, red currant, cherry and rhubarb flavours with grapefruit acidity and spicy touches but gentle suggestions of mandarin sweetness too.
2018 Saint-Cecile Cotes du Rhone Villages (£6 – instead of £7 until 9 September – at Asda):
Saint-Cecile is now among the exclusive group allowed to use their commune name alongside “Cȏtes du Rhȏne Villages” signifying a jump up the region's hierarchy.
This example of their wine has excellent full-bodied plum flavours with mineral, baking spice and chocolate depth, firm acidity but modest tannin.
The latest wine promotion is now underway at Tesco. The following bottles, all from the Tesco Finest range, are on offer until 31 August. See online for details, exclusions and more offers.
- Passerina (Down from £7 to £6)
- Montepulciano D'abruzzo (Drops from £7 to £6)
- Fair Trade South African Chenin Blanc (Drops to £6)
- Falanghina (Drops from £9 to £7.50)
- Fair Trade Breede River Sauvignon Blanc (Down to £6)
- Vintage Cava (Drops to £7.50)
A new set of offers at Sainsbury's kicked off last week and are expected to run until 25 August. Below I've listed some of my picks from the promotion, all of which are from the Taste the Difference range. Note, prices may be different in Scottish and Welsh stores, check online for details.
- Marzemino (Down from £8.50 to £7)
- Ribera del Duero (Drops from £10 to £9)
- Langhorne Creek Cabernet (Drops to £6.75)
- Portuguese Lisboa Red (Down to £6)
- Saint Chinian (Down from £9 to £8)
- White Gaillac (Down to £6.75)
- Portuguese Alvarinho (Down from £7.50 to £6.75)
- Pecorino (Drops from £7 to £6)
Hop back aboard on Thursday when we take a look at the latest arrivals in Aldi.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?