A young but impressive Rioja and an aromatic Alsace Pinot Blanc are my top supermarket wine tips this week. I also bring you news of a fresh promotion at Waitrose plus details of Asda's two-for-£10 summer offer.
2018 Pierre Jaurant Pinot Blanc (£5.99 at Aldi):
Designed to offer customers a reliable and good value range of French wines, Aldi’s Pierre Jaurant brand has added this excellent Alsace Pinot Blanc to rival its (largely sold out) Languedoc Pinot Gris.
Aromatic with good lemon acidity, the apple and peach fruit is underpinned by a zesty sherbet texture, hints of spice and an edge of sweetness.
2018 Muriel Vendimia Seleccionada Rioja (£6.50 – instead of £8.50 until 11 August – at the Co-op):
Although Bodegas Muriel produces excellent traditional Rioja, this “Selected Harvest” version is slightly different.
While most Rioja blends at least two grape varieties, this one is exclusively Tempranillo. It also hasn't had the usual Rioja aging time. The result, however, is impressive. A wine with good acidity, medium bodied cherry and loganberry flavours but soft tannin.
The following wines are on offer as part of a new promotion at Waitrose running until 25 August. For the complete range, see in-store or online at Waitrose.com
- The Doctor's Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £8.99 to £6.99)
- Chapel Down Flint Dry (Drops from £13.99 to £10.49)
- Jim Barry Watervale Riesling (Drops to £9.99)
- Domaine Huber Gruner Veltliner (Down to £7.79)
- Cecchi Morellino di Scansano DOCG (Drops to £7.99)
- Famille Perrin Réserve du Mistral (Down to £8.99)
- Gérard Bertrand Minervois (Drops from £9.99 to £7.49)
- Johann Wolf Pinot Noir Rosé (Down to £7.49)
Until 12 August, Asda is offering two-for-£10 deals on 14 wines across its range. Along with many of the usual suspects, the deal includes the excellent Bodacious Big Red, which I have recommended before.
See below for a selection of red, white and pinks included (along with their usual price). Check online or in-store for the full range but note, multi-buy deals aren't permitted in Scotland or Wales.
- Bodacious Big Red (£8)
- La Moneda Premium Collection Malbec (£7)
- Hardy’s Nottage Hill Cabernet Shiraz (£7)
- Prosecco Extra Dry (£6)
- Le Grand Clauzy Viognier (£6)
- La Moneda Premium Collection Sauvignon Blanc (£7)
- Gallo Family Vineyards White Zinfandel (£6)
- Fillipo Sansovino Pinot Grigio Rosé (£6)
Tune in again on Thursday when we explore a seriously underestimated corner of France that produces great value wine and much more besides.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?