A presentable Pinot Noir for less than £6, and 1/3 off wine and fizz, read on for two excellent reasons to visit Waitrose this week. You'll also find my recommendation for a crisp, fruity Pecorino (also at £6) plus details of a new promotion starting at the Co-op this week.
2019 The Best Pecorino, Terre di Chieti (£6 – instead of £6.75 until 11 August – at Morrisons):
No one knows if this wine’s name (derived from pecora meaning “sheep” in Italian) comes from the shape of its grape bunches or the legend that the animals ate this grape above all others when being driven through the vineyards.
If the latter, their palate is impeccable because this is delightful fare. Its floral, red apple, orange and ripe peach fruit is joined by crispness, good acidity and a creamy rounded depth. Find it online here.
2019 Sorcova Pinot Noir (£5.84 – instead of £7.79 until 28 July – at Waitrose):
Presentable Pinot Noir with change from £6 is rare. Every reason, then, to savour the fragrant raspberry and black cherry fruit and earthy touches that this impressive Romanian version displays.
Those characteristics are supported here by sleek, sweet-edged cinnamon and chocolate texture and good acidity but controlled tannin.
The latest promotion at Waitrose is in full swing, offering up to 1/3 off wine and fizz until 28 July. Below is a taste of what's included, see in-store or online at waitrose.com and at Waitrose Cellar for the full promotion.
- Mockingbird Hill Riesling (Down from £8.99 to £7.99)
- Laurent Miquel Nocturnes Viognier (Down to £6.99)
- Paikea Chardonnay (Drops from £9.99 to £7.49)
- Saint Clair Hawkes Bay Syrah (Down £3 to £9.99)
- Waitrose Valpolicella Ripasso Classico (Down to £10.99)
- Gable & Grace Shiraz Malbec (Down £2 to £5.99)
- Mirabeau en Provence Rosé (Drops from £11.99 to £8.99)
- La Gioiosa Prosecco DOCG Superiore (Down 1/3 to £8.99)
At the Co-op
A new set of discounts start at the Co-op on Wednesday. The following wines are among those on offer but, as always, check your local store to see what's available. The promotion is expected to run until 11 August.
- Casillero Del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon (Down to £6.50)
- The Busselton Boys Semillion Sauvignon Blanc (Drops to £10)
- Muriel Tempranillo Rioja (Drops to £6.50)
- Yali Wild Swan Merlot (Down £2 to £5.50)
- Ramon Bilbao El Viaje Rose (Down from £8 to £6.50)
- La Luciole Rose (Drops from £10 to £8)
- Pizzolato Organic & Vegan Prosecco (Down £1 to £9)
Tune in again on Thursday when I look at Majestic's current range.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?