My High Street stars this week include a smooth red from Spar and a lively Riesling from the Co-op. Scroll down and you'll also find my highlights from the current Sainsbury's promotion, plus details of new offers at Morrisons, Asda and M&S.
2019 Orbis Organic Tempranillo Shiraz (£6 – instead of £7 until 9 August – at Spar):
This red from Central Spain is part of Spar’s new range. It blends that country’s favourite grape – Tempranillo – with Shiraz, which is much less common there.
The resulting wine has smooth plum and mulberry fruit, sharp acidity and gentle tannin reinforced by clove, black pepper and mineral depth.
2019 Shhh …. It’s Riesling (£6 at the Co-op):
As this wine’s name implies, Riesling still attracts strong negative reactions, despite the disappearance of the overly sweet versions that once swept the UK.
Nowhere in Germany does the current, more lively, styles better than Mosel – home to this guy. Enjoy its soft, aromatic apple and greengage fruit with pithy grapefruit texture and fresh lime acidity.
A new set of promotions begin at Morrisons on Wednesday and are expected to run until 11 August.
Around 60 wines are available as part of a ‘two for £10' offer, including a couple of iHeart and Head Honcho wines. Further up the price ladder, there are also some ‘three for £20' offers.
In Scotland (where multi-buy offers are not permitted) the new promotion knocks two or three pounds off a selection of their wines instead. Check in-store to see what is available in your locality.
The following wines are on offer at Asda from Thursday until 9 September. Note, the multi-buy offers are not available in certain parts of the UK.
- Costieres de Nimes (Drops from £7 to £5.50)
- Extra Special Cotes du Rhone (Drops to £6)
- Dark Horse Cabernet (Down to £7)
- Bodacious Tejo Red (£8 each or 2 for £10)
- Les Dauphins Blanc (Down from £8 to £6.50)
- Graham Norton Sauvignon Blanc (Drops to £7)
- Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £9.50 to £7)
Sainsbury's latest promotion is now underway and will run until the end of the month (ending 28 July).
I particularly enjoyed these wines from the Taste the Difference range:
- Alsace Gewurztraminer (Down to £8.25)
- Vernaccia Di San Gimignano (Drops to £7)
- Chateau Tanunda Barossa Cabernet Merlot (Down to £10)
- Côtes du Rhône Villages (Drops to £7)
- Portuguese Lisboa Red (Drops from £7 to £6)
- Valpolicella Ripasso (Down from £11 to £10)
- Barrihuelo Rioja Crianza (Drops from £7.75 to £6.50)
Going beyond Sainsbury's own range, I think these bottles are also worth a look, especially with the current discounts:
- Elegant Frog Malbec Cabernet (Down £1 to £7)
- Santa Julia Malbec (Down £1.50 to £7.50)
- Beefsteak Club Shiraz (Drops from £8 to £7)
- Piper Heidsieck Brut NV Champagne (Down £10 to £25)
A new round of M&S wine offers start tomorrow and will run until 17 August. See below for a taste of what's included, and in-store for the full range.
- Baracca & Fassoldi Chianti Riserva (Down to £8.33)
- Cotes du Rhone Villages (Drops from £10 to £6.65)
- Las Dalias Malbec (Down from £9 to £6)
- Coteaux Varois en Provence (Down from £9.50 to £7)
- Macon Villages (Drops to £8)
- Cote de Charme Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £9 to £6)
- Cotes du Rhone Rose (Down to £7)
See you all again on Thursday when we feature our Sunday Best selection that pinpoints a handful of special occasion wines.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?