My recommendations this week include a terrific Macedonian red and a zesty alternative for Sauvignon Blanc fans. I've also included my picks from the current Sainsbury's promotion, plus details of offers and news from Co-op and Waitrose.
2017 Puklavec Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot (£6.59 – instead of £8.79 until 30 June – at Waitrose):
“Puklavec and Friends” from Macedonia have been selling tasty Sauvignon Blanc in Waitrose for a while but this red is terrific fare too.
It has concentrated but soft perfumed cherry, damson and blackcurrant fruit with good acidity, gentle tannin and suggestions of mint, baking spice and cocoa.
2019 Finest Cotes de Gascogne (£6.50 at Tesco)
A new vintage of this white from South West France is just arriving in store and anyone who enjoys Sauvignon Blanc will love this too.
It uses two local grape varieties to deliver aromatic, apple and melon fruit with hints of peach supported by zesty lime and grapefruit acidity.
The new round of wine offers at Co-op start on Wednesday and will run until 21 July. Here's a selection of the wines on promotion, which include last week's top tip Andrew Peace Signature Shiraz (now £5.50 or two bottles for £10). As always, check local stores for the full range.
- Yealands Sauvignon Blanc (Down to £7.50)
- Les Jamelles Viognier (Drops from £7.50 to £6.50)
- Most Wanted Albarino (Down to £7.50)
- Andrew Peace Signature Chardonnay (£5.50 or two for £10)
- Black Label Shiraz (Down £2 to £6)
- Trivento Malbec (Drops from £8 to £6.50)
- Marques De Valido Gran Reserva Rioja (Drops to £10)
The following wines, picked from Sainsbury's current promotion, are all worth a look. Discounts are expected to run until 7 July. Note, different arrangements may apply in Scotland.
- Taste the Difference Languedoc Blanc (Down to £6.50)
- Taste the Difference Chilean Chardonnay (Down to £6.50)
- Taste the Difference Château Tanunda Barossa Red (Drops to £12)
- Porta 6 Lisboa Red (Down from £7.50 to £6.50)
- Taste the Difference Marzemino (Drops from £8.50 to £7)
- Bellingham the Bernard Series Syrah (Down to £13)
Although not strictly a promotion, Waitrose is celebrating English Wine Week this week by launching these five homegrown wines. They are also hosting a free online tasting on Friday 26 June. The new wines will be available in limited stores and at Waitrose Cellar.
- 2018 Oxney Organic Estate Pinot Rosé (£16.99)
- Oxney Organic Estate Brut Rosé NV (£25.99)
- 2017 Beacon Down Blanc de Noirs (£28.99)
- 2018 Rathfinny Cradle Valley Pinot Blanc / Pinot Gris (£19.99)
- 2018 Rathfinny Cradle Valley Pinot Noir 2018 (£22.99)
Back on Thursday with our Pick of the Clicks featuring the best bottles in the £6-£10 price category from online wine retailers.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?