As we are being encouraged to travel more on two wheels, it seems appropriate that this week's top tips include a summery white from Chile's bike-loving wine producer. I also bring you news of current offers at Waitrose and Asda, plus an aromatic Australian red for £5.
2018 McGuigan Classic Cabernet Sauvignon (£5 at Asda):
Asda currently has two McGuigan reds around this price. This is the one I would recommend though, despite being slightly dearer.
It has aromatic cherry and red plum fruit with touches of cranberry, firm acidity, pleasingly soft tannin and herbal depth with baking spice elements.
2019 Cono Sur Bicicleta Viognier (£6 – instead of £7.50 until 16 June – at Morrisons):
Chile’s Cono Sur operation has a long history of sustainable working. Workers travel to the vineyards by bike (hence the name of this range) and over 1000 “pest control” geese roam among the vines.
This wine is a bit special too with floral-influenced mango and apricot fruit, good mandarin centred acidity and a welcome savoury finish.
The latest Waitrose wine promotion is now in full swing. Below is a selection of bottles that, I think, are worth a look before the promotion ends on 30th June.
- Cune Barrel-Fermented Rioja Blanco (Drops to £7.99)
- Mud House Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £9.50 to £6.99)
- La Piuma Orvieto DOC (Drops from £7.99 to £5.99)
- Gable & Grace Chenin Pinot Grigio (Down to £5.99)
- Norton Winemaker's Reserve Malbec (Drops to £9.69)
- Waitrose Maipo Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (Down from £9.99 to £7.49)
- Heredad del Rey reservada Yecla (Down to £5.99)
- Errazuriz Estate Pinot Noir (Drops from £9.49 to £6.99)
- The Botham 80 Series Cabernet Sauvignon (Down to £7.99)
- LeftField Rosé Hawkes Bay (Down from £11.99 to £8.99)
- Valdo Oro Puro Prosecco Superiore (Down from £13.49 to £8.99)
Promotions also continue this week at Asda and, from Wednesday, the following wines are all on offer. Discounts are expected to run until 15 July.
- Brancott Estate Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc (Drops to £7)
- Campo Viejo Rioja Reserva (Down from £11 to £8)
- Extra Special Pouilly Fumé (Drops from £12.50 to £11)
- Languedoc Blanc (Down from £7 to £6)
- Extra Special Premier Cru Champagne (Drops to £19)
Look out for my next post on Thursday which includes my tips for summer rosé.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?