Now Black Friday is over, the big retailers are turning their attention to festive promotions. Below is a round-up of wine and fizz offers currently running at the major supermarkets. You will also find my standout wines from Lidl's latest Wine Tour. Be quick though, the wines are only available while stocks last.
2019 Sicilia Nero D’Avola (£6.99 at Lidl)
The prime Sicilian grapes used for this red have been dried slightly to reduce the water content and make what is left behind slightly sweeter and – as if often the case – higher in alcohol.
Savoury edged with cherry and raspberry flavours, this wine has firm acidity, limited tannin and a smoky, menthol and baking spice finish which enhances the brightness of those fruit components.
2019 Tokaji Amethyst Premium Furmint (£7.99 at Lidl)
The wine world is used to praising the deliciously sweet wines of Hungary’s Tokaji but we are slowly appreciating what dry versions the Furmint grape can also deliver.
This excellent example is the star white from Lidl's promotion providing pithy but bright pear and red apple flavours, firm grapefruit acidity, smooth savoury depth and mouth-watering spice.
Other high spots from the Lidl Wine Tour
Other bottles of note from the Winter Wine Tour (that began last Thursday) include an excellent vintage Champagne, a sound entry-point Tawny Port, and a beautiful example of ice wine. See below for details but note, they are only available while stocks last.
- 2019 Riesling Reserve Trocken (£6.99)
- 2014 Champagne Comte de Senneval (£19.99)
- Armilar 10 year old Tawny Port (£11.99)
- 2018 Pillitteri Vidal Icewine (£13.99)
- 2019 Vis a Vis Cabernet Sauvignon (£6.99)
Current (festive) promotions
- Tesco: Buy 6 or more and save 25% on selected wine and fizz but only until tomorrow (1 December).
- Sainsbury's: Buy 6 or more and save 25% until 13 December. This offer can be used on top of other special discounts for extra savings (but note, the end date for other promotions may differ).
- Waitrose: Save up to 1/3 on wine and fizz also until tomorrow (1 December). Their 25% off spirits runs until Thursday.
- Morrisons: Buy 2 for £10 on many of the usual suspects if ordered by 26 January 2021.
- Asda: Another Buy 6 or more and save 25%, running until 7 December.
Note, some restrictions and exclusions apply. Check individual retailer websites or stores for full details.
Tune in again on Thursday when we look at Champagne and sparkling wine for Christmas and the New Year.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?