My wine picks this week include a well-priced Waitrose Sauvignon and a bargain Australian red. Read on and you'll also find a round-up of High Street wine offers and summer promotions.
2019 Radacini Sauvignon Blanc (£5.99 – instead of £6.99 until 25 August – at Waitrose):
Moldova produces a surprisingly large range and volume of wine – including this well-priced Sauvignon from Waitrose.
Its attractive grapefruit acidity and depth is supported by the grassy (but quite restrained) apple and gooseberry flavours making it more like Loire Valley Sauvignon than versions from Marlborough.
2019 Lock Keeper's Reserve Shiraz (£6 – instead of £9 until 17 August – at M&S):
The current discount makes this medium-bodied Australian red a great bargain.
It has a soft and smooth texture with ripe cherry and raspberry flavours, good acidity and elements of milk chocolate and baking spice but only limited tannin.
The latest offers at Morrisons start on Wednesday and will run until 8 September. Below are my picks from the promotion but do check online or your local store for others that are included:
- Sorso Montepulciano D'Abruzzo (Drops from £6 to £5)
- Gerard Bertrand Merlot (Down from £9 to £6.50)
- Cono Sur Bicicleta Malbec (Drops from £7.50 to £5.50)
- The Best Prosecco Valdobbiadene D.O.C.G. (Down to £8)
- The Best Riesling (Down from £8.25 to £7.50)
- The Best Priorat (Drops from £10 to £8)
- Blandys Rich Madeira (Down to £9.50)
Asda's Rollback deals bring down the price of a number of wines in their range. I think the following bottles are worth a look before the offers end on 9 September:
- Extra Special Old Vine Chenin (Drops to £5.50)
- Campo Viejo Rioja (Down from £8 to £6.50)
- Casillero Cabernet Sauvignon (Down from £8 to £6)
- Costieres De Nimes (Drops from £7 to £5.50)
- Diablo Black Cabernet Sauvignon (Down to £8)
- Extra Special Cotes Du Rhone (Drops from £7 to £6)
A new round of offers also start at the Co-op this week and are expected to run until the beginning of September. Below is a taste of what's included but check local stores to see what's available near you.
- Campogrande Orvieto Classico (Drops from £10 to £8)
- The Ned Sauvignon Blanc (Down from £9.50 to £7.50)
- La Luciole Rosé (Down to £9)
- Las Moras Shiraz (Drops £2 to £5.35)
- Running With Bulls Tempranillo (Down to £8)
- Castrum Douro Red (Drops from £10 to £9)
- McGuigan The Engineer Shiraz Tempranillo (Down to £8)
At Berry Bros & Rudd
The summer sale at Berry Bros & Rudd is underway with savings up to 40%. Below is a brief selection of the wines on offer, take a look on the website for full details.
- Pulenta Estate Pinot Gris Mendoza (Down to £8.10)
- Tierhoek Sandveld Sauvignon Blanc (Drops to £8.75)
- Waterford Pecan Stream Chenin Blanc (Down to £9.45)
- Gruner Wagram Terrassen Ehmoser (Down to £10.46)
- Monastrell Bodegas Los Frailes (Drops to £9.20)
- Pulenta La Flor Malbec Rosé (Down to £10.80)
- Pouilly Fume Rambarde Landrat (Drops to £14.36)
Join us again on Thursday when we review our “Pick of the Clicks” – a selection of wine available online at modest prices.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?