Read on for two great value Antipodean wines, both around the £6 mark, plus my picks from promotions at the Co-op, Morrisons and Sainsbury's. You'll also find a potential tip off about the next Lidl Wine Tour.
2018 Winemakers Selection Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon (£5.99 at Lidl)
South Australia’s Coonawarra region has an ideal climate for Cabernet Sauvignon and, thanks to its world-famous terra rossa soil, perfect geological conditions too.
Sense the joys of that particular combination here. The blackcurrant and red cherry flavours are supported by good acidity, a long (chocolate and baking spice-influenced) finish and firm tannin that softens with time.
2020 New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (£6 at Tesco)
The average list prices for supermarket “premium” New Zealand Sauvignon (“Finest” etc) now top £8 so why not try this version from the next level down.
Aromatic with good citrus acidity, it delivers Sauvignon’s important characteristics, intermingling them here with attractive pear and grapefruit flavours and a rounded peach texture.
The latest promotion, mentioned in last week's post, is now underway at Sainsbury's and will run until 8 December. Below are some of the bottles I think are worth a look but do check online or instore for others included in the offer and any restrictions on where to buy them.
- Taste the Difference Barrihuelo Rioja Blanco (Down from £8 to £6.50)
- Taste the Difference Californian Chardonnay (Down to £8.50)
- Most Wanted Albariño (Down to £7.75)
- Taste the Difference Barbera d'Asti (Down to £6.75)
- Beyerskloof Pinotage (Drops £2 to £6)
- Taste the Difference Côtes du Ventoux (Down to £8.50)
A new promotion starts at Morrisons on Wednesday. Below is a selection of wines included, for the full range see online or instore before the discounts finish at the end of December.
- The Best Grenache Blanc (Down to £6)
- Zarper Sauvignon Blanc Gran Reserva (Drops to £6)
- Campo Viejo Rioja Reserva (Down to £6)
- The Best Uco Valley Malbec (Drops from £12 to £8)
- The Best Douro Red (Down from £8 to £6)
- The Best English Sparkling Brut Vintage (Drops £9 to £16)
- Blandys Rich Madeira (Down from £12 to £9.50)
Also starting on Wednesday is a new promotion at the Co-op. The bottles below all represent good value but do check your local store as prices and availability can differ. The offers are expected to last until 8 December.
- Weather Man Sauvignon Blanc (Down to £5.50)
- Yealands Sauvignon Blanc (Drops to £7.50)
- Las Moras Barrel Select Malbec (Down from £8.25 to £6.25)
- Muriel Tempranillo Rioja (Drop to £6.50)
- Ramon Bilbao El Viaje Rose (Down £1 to £7)
I am told that a new Wine Tour starts at Lidl on Thursday. If so, I will include details in future Top Tips and in my Christmas recommendations.
Drop by again on Thursday when we begin the round-up of recommended drinks for Christmas with a look at fortified and dessert wines for the festive season.
Subscribe for FREE!
Do you want every review I write, direct to your inbox, absolutely free?